Wednesday, October 22, 2008

English Blog Post 6

Alright, so I go to this university in Detroit and there has been this crazy preacher guy standing outside of the UGL whining about the "Jews" and "Muslims" and making completely outrageous claims about both groups. What right does this person, who claims he's a pastor (or some sort of christian, I don't know...) to tell other people they're going to "hell". Many religions don't even believe in Hell. In fact, many people would say that hell was a concept completely manufactured by the church to scare people into following them in fear of eternal damnation.

So, this preacher was a little more blunt that businessmen like Pat Robertson, Mike Huckabee, and the like, but the message is the same, and oh so christian "Believe what I say or you go to hell".... well, hell sounds like a bad place, we all know what the humidity does to hair, so I think I would like to go somewhere less humid... and maybe with cable. Fear, which I've written about so much in the past is a powerful thing and even convinces some people that if they don't eat meat every friday than they won't go to "hell" which may or may not exist.

So why do we even have Religion then? You tell me... Let me first justify everything I've said with I'm a Jew and am basically doomed to hell anyway, haha. Religion is NOT a bad thing, to believe that life has a purpose is completely ok. But my issue with relgious people is that they try to discriminate against groups like us Jews, saying we need to be converted to go to heaven, or "the gays" must go through "repairitive therapy" to get into heaven which is narrow-minded to say the least.

Long story short, if people like Pat Robertson and Mike Huckabee are going to heaven, I rather go to hell. Religion teaches people values, and to be respectful of other human beings, it's unfortunate that a few certain people give Religion a bad name for the rest of us.

Oh, because this may be my last post before the Election for all you Californians Vote No on Prop 8.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Ever watch Kingdom of Heaven?

It's a great movie.

"God will understand. If he does not - then he is not god. And we have nothing to fear."